Monday, July 8, 2013

Update 7.8.2013

Last Monday Elizabeth got a fever so she was admitted to the hospital. That night they missed her port so they had to poke her again. They also found her blood sugar to be really low when she came in, and needed another check in the middle if the night. So, she got a finger poke (like her uncles Jakobe and Jacob get).




Elizabeth's ANC stayed below 50 the entire visit.

Elizabeth received a few transfusions last week while she was in the hospital. she got a platelet transfusion on Tuesday, blood on Friday, and then platelets again on Saturday.

The low ANC and need for transfusions is all because her bone marrow hadn't recovered from chemotherapy yet. It's been hit with chemotherapy for over 8 months and this last phase was intensive.

Elizabeth was given her last dose of chemotherapy for the phase Delayed Intensification, last Wednesday. She is scheduled to start Maintenance on Wednesday, or when her blood counts are high enough.

Elizabeth only had a fever last Monday, and Tuesday (after getting platelets).




Elizabeth was released Sunday morning even with a low ANC because of no further fevers, she was acting normal, blood cultures were negative, and the doctor was confident that I would watch her and let them know if anything came up.




So, Elizabeth and I went home and had Uncle Kyle pamper us, slept in our own beds, and had a nice morning together. Then Elizabeth woke up from her nap this afternoon, and shortly after wanted to go back to sleep. I checked her temp and it was only slightly up. I decided to wait to make sure it wasn't just a glip. When I checked again it was 102.7.

So I called her doc and packed for the hospital while I waited for the doctor to return my call. And as I guessed we were told to go into the hospital.

Elizabeth got some Tylenol, but her temperature wasn't coming down. Her doctor then gave the go ahead for her to receive Ibuprofen (we have to be careful because of platelet issues). The doc gave the okay, and Elizabeth's fever is just starting to come down. She has perked up enough to ask me to read to her.






No comments:

Post a Comment